Saturday, February 18, 2012

tears flowing


Empathy, can we extend our empathy from our immediate friends and family to other human beings and species around the world?  This is one of the saddest videos I have ever seen: http://bear71.nfb.ca/#/bear71.  After recently spending a week in the Canmore area and my parents are there now for the next two weeks, this is an eye opener, 5 million tourists annually....  Cat Stevens asked, "where do the children play?" and Bruce Cockburn added, "if a tree falls in the forest, does anybody hear...".  We are living in wondrous times, remember this the next time you get to be outside in one of these places...

While I can hardly hold back the tears, I am not sure if this type of narrative is effective or not.  We are learning about the psychology of change in classes this go round and as soon as I have some insights I will share.  Death and despair does not work it seems.  It seems there is something positive around teams and social networks and building social capital and a new social fabric that supports a different style of living... from my own research I found this takes time, and organisations may grow impatient quickly.

I saw a little bit of a video by Facebook called "A life in a day" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaFVr_cJJIY&feature=watch-now-button&wide=1, encouraging us to think about the struggles and lives and loves of other humans around the world.  I wish/wonder if we can extend these thoughts and hopes to all other life forms who struggle to share this planet with us.  I think narratives like these help us do that... to start to think about other species and their perspectives in our busy busy lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment