Saturday, November 19, 2011

why do we give money or time to people we have never met?

I just made a KIVA donation, if you have never heard of it please check out Jessica Jackley here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqj0sgrNL10, an amazing organisation doing really amazing things.  My question; what is the psychology, behaviour, attitude and values behind doing something for someone half way around the world who you have never and will never meet?  Sponsor a child, make a micro loan, send donations, etc.  I am sure there is a wealth of information out there on this subject a literature review would probably be quite valuable.  I discussed this yesterday with Auden Schendler author of Getting Green Done and the sustainability VP for Aspen ski resort (pretty cool job).  Auden highly recommended reading Peter Singers (a utilitarian philanthropist) book The Life You Can Save.  Auden says this book says it all, why we give, why we don't, and most importantly why we should!!!  A short video can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onsIdBanynY&feature=player_embedded.  Brilliant, make a drop in the bucket, so simple. 


On the ride home from the Building Saskatchewan Green Conference today a friend said to me, "I and I" (Used in the rastafarian religion in place of "you and me" to show that all people are equal under Jah.)  and the Beatles sang "I am you and you are me and we are all together".  We are all in this together, a friend often says to me just some of us won the lottery at birth (if you are reading this I am likely referring to you), which I am so thankful for... 


make a drop in the bucket, you, me, we can make a difference!







No comments:

Post a Comment